Our goal is NOT to find the 'Fittest Athlete'. The goal of the AllStar Round-Up is showcase the islands talent and include all persons, REGARDLESS OF AGE OR FITNESS LEVEL in an environment where everyone is an AllStar.
"Will I be able to?"
As we prepare for the 2014 AllStar Round-Up event on Nov. 15th & 16th, I can't help but notice how some of our athletes feel 'on the fence' about entering the competition, even if they really WANT to. They continue to put obstacles in front of themselves. My heart goes out to those athletes. We train so hard, yet give ourselves very little credit for how great we really are. I see this daily with a wide variety of people. If this is you, you're not alone! Let's just get to the facts:
- Scared of not being 'good enough' or 'ready enough'
- Fear of 'what people will think of me'
- Fear of the unknown, "Will I be able to DO the workouts or weights?"
- Fear of the stress or commitment
- Fear of doing well at any level! It's more comfortable to act like we don't care.
- Legitimate injury or pre-existing condition which would make competing and unwise choice. (So volunteer or come spectate and support the others!) this would be the only great reason NOT to compete.
- If you ALREADY participate in CrossFit class, you understand ALL the movements and scaling options. We can even scale further than what is listed on the WOD descriptions, just ask!
- We can not control what people think of us, nor should we care! Our effort is all that matters.
- Because we CAN and it's FUN!!! Stress is simply showing us that our body cares about the outcome, and the outcome here is great joy!
- Committing to a group event makes us BETTER.
- Accepting just how great you really ARE.
- Because we care about our health and wellbeing, which includes socialization & participation in something greater than what we do alone.
- Because it's our gym's largest fundraiser which benefits our Kupuna Program, Special Olympics Program(both of which charge a nominal fee to cover rent, but are taught by volunteer), and KIDS event that benefits the Hawaii Island Humane Society.
"Last year's roundup was my first CrossFit competition and I was so nervous to sign up. In fact, I almost didn't even get a chance to enter but luckily more scaled slots opened up. I had no idea what to expect. I had never seen a competition besides the games on TV and that was SO out of my league. I ended up having so much fun. The competition was very well organized and the atmosphere was so friendly and encouraging. I signed up this year so I could be part of that again. It is also really, really good motivation to train hard so you can put forth your best effort. I look forward to another fun weekend." -May Hampton, CFAS Athlete
"Weather you think you CAN, or you think you CAN'T, you're right"-Henry Ford